Internships bring your academic classroom studies to life! These experiential opportunities provide exposure to careers matching your major or intended career path. Internships also position you as a more competitive candidate for full-time jobs or graduate school admission.
A study from the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) found that:
- The overall rate of conversion into full-time employment for interns was 48.4%.
- Employers made full-time offers to 56.5% of their interns.
Are You Ready for an Internship?
If you have decided to pursue that perfect internship position, there are a few elements you should consider before you begin your work experience.
Read over Are You Ready for an Internship ? This guide is a simple, step-by-step strategic outline designed to assist you in looking at where you are and where you want to go.
Tips for Finding an Internship
Use these resources to find an opportunity that meets your needs:
- Visit The Career Center to meet with a Career Advisor who can steer you in the right direction.
- Register for Plus! services through SeminoleLink to access postings for internships and experiential opportunities.
- Use ProfessioNole to network with professionals in your field of interest and request an information interview.
- Utilize the 3000+ resources in The Career Center Library to research industries and employers.
- Make Contact! Ask family members, friends, advisors, and any other individuals you know about potential internship and co-op opportunities.
- Job Shadow to see the inside of an organization and meet professionals in your area of interest.
- Conduct an information interview. You can ask questions about the industry and the job and demonstrate your knowledge, skills, and enthusiasm to the interviewer.