The Career Center is honored by your student's choice to attend FSU, and we are committed to providing excellent services throughout the University experience. As a family member, we understand that your student's success is a primary concern, and we are happy to provide you with information about the services we offer, as well as ways you might support your student's career development and The Career Center.
Services We Provide to Students
Are you curious about ways you might provide assistance to your student as they make career decisions? Use this these suggestions to help you evaluate and explore ways you might encourage and support your student.
- Allow my family member the freedom to have new experiences.
- Encourage the exploration of new ideas, experiences, and occupations.
- Demonstrate willingness to tolerate ideas and values which are different than my own.
- Really listen to what my family member tells me.
- Express positivity and support when my family member makes a poor decision or fails.
- Speak openly and honestly about my current job, including both the pros and cons.
- Express willingness to discuss my own career development history.
- Tell my family member about various occupations.
- Encourage my family member to find out about occupations of interest, referring him/her to appropriate resources.
- Help my family member to objectively look at his/her strengths and weaknesses and suggest how they might relate to various career areas.
- Compliment my family member on his/her good points and accomplishments.
- Help my family member identify occupations that he/she would be good at.
- Refer my family member to friends/acquaintances who might discuss their occupations with him/her.
- Actively participate in helping my family member find a summer/part-time/volunteer job that will help him/her explore a potential career field.
- Allow my family member to use my personal/professional contacts to find employment after graduation.
- Encourage activities that promote career development, while not emphasizing what has not been done.
- Assist my family member in setting reasonable goals without insisting that my expectations be met.
- Ask questions that will encourage my family member's further career information-seeking behavior.
- To receive assistance in answering these questions or to get assistance for your family member, come to the Career Center and speak to a Career Advisor .
How Family Members Can Help
- Join ProfessioNole Mentors and volunteer your career/industry advice and insights to current FSU students.
- Host an FSUshadow student for a day of job shadowing at your organization.
- Hire A Nole by posting your part-time, full-time, and internship opportunities for FSU students and graduates.
- Support Career Center initiatives such as the ProfessioNole Clothing Closet or contribute to other Career Center programs.